IFA AromaTouch Carer Course
The International Federation of Aromatherapists (IFA) accredited Aromatouch Career Course
Touch and massage as a language to communicate caring and understanding
With the population ageing, more people will have caring responsibilities. In Hong Kong, over 70% of elders suffer from one or more chronic illness, which can create stress in elders and their carers, both physically and psychologically. We need to think of ways to make people live happier rather than just longer.
The Aromatouch carer course is designed for those who work in the care industry and for individuals who interact with those who need special attention.
This is a ‘hands on’ course to be taught by professional aromatherapists to care workers or carers working in a variety of settings, who want to learn how to incorporate the use of touch with essential oils on primarily the elderly, children and those with special needs.
Use of touch with essential oils on the elderly and those with special needs
The strokes are done with only the flat of the hand to the back over clothing, shoulder, hands and feet on bare skin to produce soothing and warming movements. The massage can be done anywhere, standing or sitting taking into account that most of the client groups who might benefit from this method of massage are not able to tolerate a standard massage on a couch.
The strokes describe creative shapes and stories are designed to accompany the massage sequence. Story massage such as picturing the happy moments of playing mahjong will bring up memory and enjoyment throughout the day.
Story massage picturing the happy moments
It allows qualified practitioners to incorporate new skills to their existing practice and add another dimension to their work, honed to a niche market.
- Appraise the history of Aromatherapy
- Understand the basic concepts of emotional health and wellbeing
- Be able to identify the main stress factors arising from personal and environmental situations
- Identify the effects of stress and anxiety on the body systems
- Understand the importance of nurturing touch in supporting emotional wellbeing
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in a range of massage techniques and these can be developed into a range of massage stories
- Understand basic anatomy and physiology as it relates to Aromatherapy and massage
- Demonstrate a full understanding of 16 commonly used essential oils and mixes
- Commonly used methods of using essential oils and carrier oils
- Understand and demonstrate the importance of accurate records and case studies
- Learn to create targeted resources for those with additional needs
- Understand and demonstrate client care and professionalism
- Demonstrate the knowledge and professional skills required to use aromatherapy in the context of a carer and link their practice to their client/work
- Those who complete the Aromatouch Carer Course (with an attendance rate of 80%) and the required assignments, and successfully pass through the IFA assessment will receive the IFA’s certificate of competence and be entered onto the IFA Career's register.
Our instructors are qualified aromatherapists accredited by the International Fedaration of Aromatherapists with extensive experience in clinical care
Lily Chan, Registered Nurse (HK), IFA Certified Aromatherapist, CMA Certified Meditation and Mindfulness Teacher with experience in providing aromatherapy services and conducting aromatherapy workshops for various institutes including Christian Family Service Centre, Kwun Tong Methodist Social Service and Community CareAge Foundation…etc
- Bachelor of Science (Hon) Nursing (HKPU)
- Diploma in Holistic Aromatherapy (JGO Holistic Aromatherapy and Health School)
- Certificate in Practical Chinese Medicinal Nursing (Hong Kong Baptist Hospital & Hong Kong College of Chinese Medicinal Nursing)
- Certificate in Basic Psychotherapy (CUHK)
- Master of Medical Science Specialized in Neuroscience (HKU)
- Mindfulness and Coaching (Oxford Mindfulness Centre of the University of Oxford)
- Member of the International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists
- Diploma in Holistic Aromatherapy in 2003 (JGO Holistic Aromatherapy and Health School)
- Practicing aromatherapist and tutor conducting aromatherapy seminars for various organisations including Bank of China, Hospital Authority, Housing Authority and Wong Tai Sin Hospital …
Mode of Teaching
- Based on a clearly defined course curriculum issued by IFA, this is a practical ‘hands on’ training course combined the theory with practice delivered in 5 full days (a total of 35 hours)
- 2 External Clinical Practice Trainings
- In house assessment (3 hours)
- IFA assessment (3 hours)
Who should attend
- Those who age 18 or above and are interested in Holistic Aromatherapy and Aroma Care
- Those who want to become a registered AromaTouch Career under the International Fedaration of Aromatherapists in the UK
Course Date & Time
Saturday class 9:30-13:00 starting 2 Mar.19 (10 classes - 2, 16, 23, 30 Mar, 6, 13, 27 Apr & 4, 11, 18 May 2019)
Monday class 9.30-13.00 and 14.00- 17.30 starting 25 Feb.19 (5 full days - 25 Feb, 11, 18 25 Mar and 1 Apr.2019)
- HK$2,800 deposit is payable upon enrollment
- The balance is payable on the course commencement date either by cheque or cash
Early bird promotion - a free set of 8 essential oils if enrolled 2 weeks before the course start date
- IFA Assessment fee (HK$1,200 with visiting examiner from UK)
- IFA student registration fee (HK$450)
- IFA course manual (HK$350)
- 16 Essential oils covered in the course (can be purchased on the course commencement date at a discount price with 35% off )